Monday, December 5, 2016

An update from Victoria

It’s been a year and a half in Miami. Yep, I have been living in Florida as my heart has been crying for me back home, in Indonesia. I’ve been attending Barry University getting my Bachelors of Fines Arts: my major is photography and my minor is advertising. This past semester has been filled with twists and turns. Since I am busy and sometimes lazy I know many of you may not know some of the blessings I have come across here, even though I’m all alone (with no family of any kind) down here.  Firstly, it is the beginning of December and I’m not freezing. As a matter of a fact, I woke up this morning and turned the A.C. on because I was sweating. Additionally, I was so blessed this past summer to go back to Indonesia and see my family, friends, and country.




During August I traveled almost everyday: Indonesia to Korea for a layover (was suppose to be Hong Kong but a typhoon was destroying that city at the time… figures…), to New York City to spend time with my special someone, to Atlanta for a layover, to Nebraska to be a bridesmaid in one of my bestest friend’s weddings (Amelia Hegle’s  Rempel’s wedding), to Kentucky during a small road trip with an old friend from Indonesia, to get broken down in Ohio, then to Pittsburgh, to Johnstown, back to Pittsburgh, back to New York City, and then finally to begin school in Miami a few days late. Did I mention this was all done with my missionary kid budget of maybe $60? However, I was BLESSED TREMENDOUSLY to be able to work for Mrs. Samuel’s pro-life daycare in Pittsburgh a little over midway through my travels, which gave me about $70 to start with in Miami till I could work on September 1st! SOOO blessed!
Now, some more blessings that have come my way are: jobs, my church, my living situation, my city-boy, and my family. I have been blessed with three jobs here in Miami! ALL ARE ON MY SCHOOL’S CAMPUS! Now, last year I was traveling one hour to work and one hour back for a minimum waged job for night shifts. These jobs were huge for me! I work at the photography studio on campus, the newspaper, and the sports bar as the events coordinator’s assistant. I found a church this semester! I have been attending Harvest Bible Church which is a 20 minute walk from me! Funny story: one of their largest “branches” is in KL, Malaysia, just a short flight from home! Small world! I am in the process of getting involved with their high school ministry for January. Also, I am living in an apartment with two other beautiful ladies: my roommate Andrea and my suite mate Emma are both perfect house-mates that are prone to positivism! It is nice living in a real place (though small) because I don’t feel like a stranger to the United States too much anymore. Another big blessing has been Andres.




Andres and I met September of 2015 and started dating that late October. He is from Manhattan, New York (though it’s also a big city, I’ve realized it’s very different than third-world Indonesia.) His mom is full Peruvian and his dad is full Ukranian. He laughs a lot, blows his nose like an elephant, and has a huge heart for justice. He is also going to Barry University. He is getting a Bachelors of Communications with his major in Broadcasting and Emerging Media. Lastly! My family! Being in the United States I have truly missed my family. However, I’ve been blessed with the ability to text my older brother (which after going four years without seeing him, this is a luxury), I can call my grandparents and awesome cousins and see them all during the holidays, and the Indo-crew is coming back this summer! Come this time next year, I’d have everyone living in the same country!!!!!


Blessings upon blessings for me!!




“Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.” 1st Thessalonians 5: 16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment